Friday, March 11, 2011

Some encouraging words

Time for another Reid update! A big thanks, to begin, to everyone for the outpouring of love and prayers during this time. We love you all!
Reid had his second colonoscopy/endoscopy last week. It was rough this time around. Hard getting him under, hard getting him to wake up, he was sick all day. But, since he had just gone under anesthesia 2 months ago, this was normal.
It took a week for pathology reports to come back and we went for the follow up yesterday. And, for the first time in 7 months, I had the doctor look at me and say "I'm encouraged by the results." The cultures for the c-diff (the raging intestinal infection) were positive 2 weeks ago. The cultures from last week...NEGATIVE! The mastocytic colitis....practically UNDETECTABLE! So, now, we are dealing with Reid's body's inability to digest certain things. His body is playing a game of dominoes here. The parasite caused c-diff, which caused colitis, which has done so much damage now its causing him not to be able to digest sugars (which causes extreme stomach cramps and diarrhea). But, that is certainly treatable. He is on a strict diet of NO SUGAR. Only water to drink or a special formula that helps repair his digestive track. If it isn't better in 2 weeks, he will go on steroids for a short period of time to rebuild everything and allow his body to absorb the nutrients he needs to get better. So, we are on the mend. Finally. (pictures taken the day of the procedures. He didn't move much from that spot all day)
Our church held a special prayer/fast for Reid this past week. Thank you to all that were involved and set aside their time to pray for our little man. I know that those prayers were heard, and answered. I know that our prayers were heard 7 months ago. We just had a lesson to learn here. Heavenly Father teaches us so much in our trials. And, if it was easy, we wouldn't learn anything. I have learned extreme patience. 7 months ago, if you were to ask me to wait a week or 2 for test results, heck, even one day, I would freak. Today, 2 weeks? No biggie. Patience IS one of my virtues now. We have learned to count our blessings, big and small. I have learned to love like its your last day. I have learned that little things don't matter. Having a spotless house is NOTHING in comparison to time spent with children. I will have years ahead of me to pick up after everyone. But I wont have years to sit and play with cars and trucks on the floor with my little boy.

2 comments:

Beach Borchardts said...

oh my goodness!!!!!!!! GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!! Prayers are powerful!!! Give him a big squeeze for the Borchardts!! xoxo

Mandy D said...

What a trooper!!!! Glad to hear you are gettingnsome good news. Praying & thinking of you!