I was having a bad day Monday. And not the "I burnt the toast" kind of bad day. I was the "I missed getting into an amazing nursing school by .2 points" bad day. The "I just found out my one true friend is moving away" bad day. I wanted to hide in bed and cry all day. But I didn't. I got up. Yelled too much at the kids to get ready for school. Got impatient with Reid too many times. Was crabby at Bryan.
After the kids were in bed, I was sitting on the couch having a pity party. "Poor me...all I want is to get out of this darn house before I go crazy" pity party.
And then Bryan walked in the door. "Do not let the kids go outside by themselves anymore". Apparently, just down the road, there was an attempted abduction. A family we know. By a truck I see drive by here. All. The. Time.
And my mama heart broke. Those feelings that I knew were consuming that mother right then flooded me and I broke down in tears. I knew those feelings too well. When Hana was a few months old, someone who had been harassing me at the pool ended up grabbing her out of her stroller and ran off with her. My heart broke in a million pieces. The story obviously has a happy ending, but those few moments of sheer terror never leave a mother.
Perspective.
This day that I had spent feeling sorry for myself should have been spent being more thankful I have a family. I have kids. Who are healthy and alive. I have an incredibly amazing husband who adores me and we are still madly in love after 12 years.
Heavenly Father always has a way of making things just perfect for us. Most of the time, we have a plan all mapped out for us, and usually turns out He has a different plan. A better plan. Its hard for us to see His way when we think our way is best. Its hard to just "give it all to Him".
There is a song I adore called Perspective...."Perspective is a lovely atmosphere....at old sorrows I can smile, it just takes a while."
In the grand scheme of things, our kids will fight, some days we will be stuck in the house, I may not get into the school I wanted, not everything will go our way. We will look back one day and think, well of course His plan was better for me. But for now, we have to remember what is important.
My kids are home safe and sound at night. My husband has a job. We live in a house. I am crazy in love.

No comments:
Post a Comment