What a week. It all started when Reid, who typically sleeps like an angel, started waking up hourly screaming and crying. For about a week this happened. Since he had no other symptoms, I never did anything about it. Then, his congestion came back. And then a fever. So, I brought him in on Wednesday. The doctor told me it looked like he was getting an ear infection and the fact that he was exposed to H1N1 (Bryan's little sister) they went ahead and treated him for it. We went home, did the antibiotics and Tamiflu and he was good. Until that night. He broke out in a rash and spiked a fever of 103. I called the doctor and he said to bring him in in the morning. We figured out that the rash was an allergic reaction to his antibiotic. And, it was a blessing in disguise that he broke out. When I brought him in Thursday morning, he had been vomitting for over 24 hours, not eating well, and his eyes looked like someone punched him. Initially, the doctor was just going to send him to the lab for bloodwork, but after closer examination, he sent him to the hospital. It all happened so fast, that I had no time to process it. Thankfully. We got there, they started the IV, did lots of bloodwork, x-rays, and other various tests. And, he was such a trooper. He cried just a little, but for the most part, just watched everyone as they poked and prodded. He even had to have his IV changed out in the middle of the night, and just layed there and watched the nurses! He was severly dehydrated, but after 12 hours on the IV, he looked and acted so much better. All of the tests for everything you could imagine came back negative. The doctor said, given his exposure to H1N1, and that he had EVERY symptom, they went ahead and treated him for it. He told me that the test they do is only 40% accurate. That means out of every 10 cases, 6 will go undiagnosed! No wonder is was spread so fast! Thank you to everyone for the prayers. They were felt. The nurse he has was amazing. She left us alone most of the time. If he was sleeping, she would wait until he woke up to do what needed to be done. We just spent our time in bed playing with toys, looking out the window, reading, singing...anything to keep him occupied. It was hard, since he is used to crawling all over the place, but we managed. This 2 day hospital stay really gave me a new found appreciation to what we have. I have a new respect for those parents whose children are in the hospital long term. Oh, and the girls had fun with Daddy. Chloe went to work with him while the others were in school. She told me all about the hard work she did (watching daddy dig holes, cut wood, and be a strong daddy). "It was hard work." I think she was a little upset when she couldnt go with him today!


4 comments:
Oh my heavens... I was fighting back tears. SO SAD!! I'm glad he is better-he is darling-even in his little gown!
Poor sweet baby boy! I can't believe he was in such bad shape. I hope that he and you are all back home and on the mend.
Take good care!
Oh Nea! I have been so worried! Soooo thankful he's doing well! What a sweet angel! You amaze me!!!!!!!! Love you!
Poor baby! It amazes me that he is still smiling in every picture though. What a sweet boy! :)
Post a Comment