I knew it was only a matter of time....
Hana was 9 months when she split her head open...
Maddison was 10 months when she split her eyebrow open....
Chloe was almost 3 when she split her lip open....
Reid has joined the club at 14 months....and it was by far the hardest one to deal with.
Sunday afternoon, the girls were playing in their room and I was playing with Reid. I was chasing him around, playing peek-a-boo around the corners, when I came around a corner, scared him, and he turned to run and instead tripped and fell and hit his head on the brick-lined corner of the doorway. As soon as I heard the thump, I knew. I picked him up so fast and saw it all happen slowly....first the forehead grew slowly, the gash was there, but not bleeding yet...he cried for about 5 seconds...and then it came...the blood. I tried to clean him up. I threw him in the car, and drove to the ER. Sobbing the WHOLE WAY. I called my mom because I was beside myself. I wasn't so worried about him, but felt horrible! Something in me decided not to drive 45 minutes to the childrens hospital, but go to the local one 10 minutes away, which is always packed. I kept looking back in the rear-view mirror and sobbing. Reid was sitting there, talking and happy, but blood everywhere. We got to the ER and not a single person waiting. Some kid mentioned to me on the way in that he looked like a cartoon or like he had fake makeup on him. They cleaned him up. Made sure he didn't have a concussion, and that was it. He had one spot right on the top of the cut that looked deep enough for glue or stitches, but since he put up such a fight to clean it, they said they wouldn't bother. It wouldnt have made a difference. But the rest of it was superficial enough that it would heal on its own. Big sigh of relief. But, I still couldnt look at this little boy with a huge golf ball sticking out of his head without crying!
So, now, only 3 days later, and he looks great! Until he fell this morning and split the top open again. I still feel horrible. I know he is a boy, and this was an accident and it is going to happen again, but I just keep thinking to myself, if I hadnt scared him....
oh well, at least he will have a cool scar....

3 days later....

1 comment:
Reid is too cute. You're gonna have to lock him up WITH the girls!!! And bless him, that scar will only make him look tough!
Sorry practically everybody's sickly at your house right now! :(
Don't you get sick, mama!!
Post a Comment