"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend." -Robert Louis Stevenson
Friday, January 14, 2011
Some answers
Today was the big day. Met with the doctor about Reid and find out exactly what was wrong and try to find the right treatment. Earlier in the week, his pediatrician called and told me his test for c diff (the intestinal infection we have been fighting all along) was still positive. So, I knew going into the appt that we were dealing with that. This whole time, i have not been worried about what was wrong. I have felt fine about whatever was about to be thrown at us. We have been dealing with this for 6 months. I am just at the point of finding out what it is, and treating it the best way. The biopsy results came back normal. Everything they tested for was negative, which I expected after seeing the pictures last week and talking to the doctor after the procedure. He said the only thing that is wrong is colitis, which is inflammation of the colon. That results from an infection....the c diff. The reason the c diff never cleared up is because the colitis was working against it. We have figured all along that there was something else going on it was just a matter of finding what it was. So, these two are just feeding off of each other and preventing the other one from clearing up. So, what now? Treat the two together. We will treat the infection with a strong antibiotic and treat the colitis with a medicine that will help in bringing down the inflammation and soothing the colon. Our hopes are that in tackling these two together, they will all together clear up. It will be a long process, several months, but we are hoping for some reaction within a few weeks. I am glad we finally know what it is we are dealing with exactly, instead of guessing and wondering if we are treating the right thing. Reid, still, is un-phased by all of this. He just played with his "neigh"s and "tuuuucks" while the doctor looked at him. Laughed when he was feeling his belly and tried to tell me he was being tickled. I know I have said this before, but we are so blessed that he really is an angel when it comes to all of this. And, with having to take medicine for the next several months, it is a good thing he is good at it! This boy is such a trooper and will grow up to be such a warrior!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm so happy that you got some answers. Reid is my hero!
hooray that you finally have an answer- now for the attack! great job staying strong and we will pray that the drugs work quickly :)
I've been praying for you guys. Glad you got some answers!
Post a Comment