Thursday, July 05, 2012

Gramma Vi




This sweet lady went "home" in the early hours this morning. A sweet relief amidst our sadness. No one ever thought, or wished, she would last this long. It is always hard to see loved ones suffer, and deteriorate into someone so unrecognizable.
So many memories came flooding back this morning from my childhood spent with Gramma Vi. More than this blog could ever hold. But, I will always cherish my time spent with her. For it was her kitchen in Wheaton, Il where I learned how to bake, wash dishes, and show love to my family through food.
Gramma was the epitome of a lady. I never saw her without her hair done, even in her last days. She was always dressed perfectly, never showed anger, never judged, always loved with every bit of her soul. If I could be half of what she was, I will be pleased.
A few months ago I was able to go to my fathers cabin and visit her one last time and say my goodbyes. Bitter sweet. I saw my childhood flash before my eyes when I was holding her hand. And, though she looked nothing like I was used to, she still was perfect. Skin just as beautiful as ever, hair curled just right, and her bottle of perfume by her hospital bed. She couldn't say much, but neither could I . It was in that moment of our eyes locking, saying we loved each other, we will see each other soon....I felt love. We knew. We didn't have to speak. Just the touch of her hand, and a kiss on the cheek, was all I needed. I can not wait for the day to see her again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry Nea! Sending our love and prayers!!!!!