Friday, February 29, 2008

Life's little mysteries

Has something ever happened to you and you walk away so confused and are left wondering why or how did that happen or WHAT happened? Like the time in 6th grade when I had new glasses and put them down on the bench during PE only to come back and find them missing. We searched everywhere for those things for 2 weeks! Then, one day, they just magically appeared in my PE bag. Where did they go for that period of time? We will never know. Well, something like that happened to me yesterday. I left to take Maddison to school and didnt lock the door. I never do. We have a lock on the front door that only locks from the inside, our keys dont work. They get stuck and you have to practically break it. So, I could lock it and go around back, but seriously, who would do that? That would take too much time....like an extra minute or something. That is ridiculous. Anyway, back to my story. I went to some stores and did some errands with Chloe and when I came home 2 hours later, I pulled in the driveway and saw my door wide open. I sat there. Do I get out? Do I go inside? Do I call the police? I could hear Tex barking his little heart out, which he doesnt do. He never barks. He barks when he is sleeping and someone opens the door and startles him. But he never just sits and barks for no reason. I looked over and saw Sam and Kara were not at home. Wait, they were. Their car was sitting in front of the gate. I called Sam, no answer. I called Bryan, he told me to stay on the phone while I went through the house. Scary! So, I did. Tex was still going nuts. First thing Bryan said was "are my wakeboards still there? Ok, good" No one was here. Our TV was still here (who would take that old thing anyway). Everything was fine. Maybe the wind just blew it open. Now, the strange part. The car sitting in Sam and Kara's was not them, but it sat there for a good 20 minutes, it seemed. Who was it? Not them. (if it was you and you are reading this, please tell me...I am baffled, and so is Kara) I was later told by Kara that she was told there is supposedly a man that lives in the woods and breaks into peoples homes when they are gone. Did he come in and see we had an old TV and nothing worth taking so he left? Did he come in and take our food? (I still cant find my water bottle and a banana I thought I left out) Did someone open the door and Tex barked his pathetic bark but scared them away? Did the wind just blow the door open? I guess I will never know. All I know is I am taking the extra minute now to lock the door and go around back. That, and Tex could be a good guard dog if no one can see him!

3 comments:

The Long Family said...

That is really interesting. I am glad nothing was taken! (other than a banana and water You are very brave, I wouldn't have been able to go into the house alone. Life's mysteries are baffling!

kara jo haught said...

i have to say i take the extra min to lock my doors now! its just not worth it.

Anonymous said...

Can Tex be any freakin cuter! Oh my gosh! What a good watch dog...who says you have to have a big dog!