My grandfather turned 80 last week, so the entire family, on my mothers side went to spend the weekend with him (they live outside of Chicago). I told the kids the day before we left and they were so excited to go on a plane. They have not been since they were babies, so it was like a new experience for them. We got up early Thursday and left by 6:30am to get to the airport. I had my mom with me, for crowd control. We had breakfast (Chloe loved her cinnamon roll)
and then boarded the plane for our 9am flight. (by this time, my batteries died in my camera...booo)
We were waiting for a while, wondering why we were not leaving the gate, when the captain came on and said to sit tight, we were having trouble starting the engines. NICE! About 1/2 hour later, they told us the mechanics were in the middle of a shift change, so no one was able to come look at the plane, we were going to have to de-board the plane. Now, not knowing this was not supposed to happen, the kids happily got off the plane. They sat and played and colored in the terminal while my mom stood in line for 4 HOURS!!! (By this time, I was really glad she came along) The kids were great for the most part. Long story....basically, they couldnt get us on another flight out till the next morning...so they put us up in the hotel there at the Orlando airport...the girls thought it was great!!! While mom was finalizing our tickets, the girls and I sat around a fountain, and thanks to a great idea from Maddison, we all went around teling what our favorite part of the day was. Even with a bummer of a day, the girls were able to find lots of great things that happened...like riding the train and going on the moving walkways!!!
The next morning, we got up at 4 and walked downstairs to get on the plane. And, to our children's (and our) delight, we had first class seats!! After what we had been through, we deserved it. The limo picked us up in Chicago, and the girls thought that was so cool!!! I am soooo thankful my mom was with me. I would have gone home, not stood in line all day!
1 comment:
I am so glad you had your mom with you for the airport mess and the girls did well considering. Isn't traveling fun with kids?!
Post a Comment